Links to social media such as blogs, podcasts, networks – covering issues of interest to people in the voluntary sector and also sample charity sites. For instance, charity or campaign blogs working to raise awareness or cash, communicate with the public, volunteers or members. Some blogs from further afield are under BlogWorld.
This page was originally compiled in 2006. There have been some updates since, with a tidy up December 2016, and your suggestions are invited (please always include the web link in the initial message via VoluntaryNews).
- Bubb’s Blog Thoughts from Stephen Bubb, director of Charity Futures, previously chief exec of ACEVO.
- Charities and Campaigning for a Better World from Andrew Purkis, former charity CEO and board member of the Charity Commission.
- Ramblings of A PR has quite a few pieces around public relations issues with a charity focus.
- ThinkNPC ‘opinion, news and debate around key issues affecting charities and funders’.
- Whitebarn Consulting Voluntary sector views from Ireland.
- White Fuse All things digital, tailored for charities and non-profits.
On Charity Work
- ACEVO blogs – the organisation for charity chief execs.
- Association of Volunteer Managers.
- NCVO blog pages – National Council for Voluntary Organisations, support/umbrella body for England.
- Third Force News management blog, from the “voice of the third sector” in Scotland.
- UK Fundraising blogs.
- Gin and Fundraising.
- Carers Blog from Carers Trust.
- HVA Director’s Blog Hastings Voluntary Action (to 2009?).
- Oxfam GB blog pages.
- Refugee Council.
- Solvent and Volatile Substance Abuse from charity Re-Solv.
- Boycott Nestlé – protect infants – campaigns blog at Baby Milk Action.
- Jamie’s Big Voice A voice battling for homeless people (to 2010).
- Kings Cross Environment Street level action in central London.
- OPEN Dalston Saving Dalston Theatre and more.
- Stand Up For Seaton Community action on Blogspot (to 2010).
- Ed Mayo’s blog on co-operatives in the UK.
- Mark Lyonette on credit unions (to 2015).
- Neighbourhoods .. and neighbourliness, social capital, citizenship, space and place…
- Volunteer experience in the digital age from a group of researchers.
Selected international (mainly American) sector blogs.
- Association for Progressive Communications social justice, sustainable development through ICT and internet.
- Engaging Volunteers (VolunteerMatch.org).
- Kivi’s Nonprofit Marketing/Communications Blog.
- Nonprofit Blog Exchange Largely American site gathering up charity blogs.
- The Nonprofit Consultant.
- Social Velocity. Social innovation, social impact, sustainability.
- Top 150 Nonprofit Blogs.
This site uses WordPress. Some sector-related WP links (self-hosted sites unless otherwise stated):
- The Scaffold WordPress theme and plugin for local Healthwatch groups.
- NTEN nonprofit tech network has a WordPress forum “for nonprofit WordPress developers and content managers of all skill levels” (see bottom of the linked page).
- CiviCRM can run on the WordPress platform, although Drupal has traditionally been more popular.
- PayPal donations plug-in.
- WP Charitable ‘fundraising toolkit’. Basic plug-in free, costs for further features.
- There is a premium (paid-for) Charity WordPress theme, and a connected FundPress donation plug-in (with PayPal option). American, not checked out for £ etc.
WordPress.com sites typically have a web address of anorganisation.wordpress.com – there’s a (quite small) annual fee to use something like anorganisation.org.uk instead.