Links to social media such as blogs, podcasts, networks – covering issues of interest to people in the voluntary sector and also sample charity sites. For instance, charity or campaign blogs working to raise awareness or cash, communicate with the public, volunteers or members. And some blogs from further afield under BlogWorld.
Also: news/tips on tech and social action, examples of Open Source CMS being used by British charities, podcast/audio/video sites and platforms. Plus resources. And NEW for 2015: charity apps – mainly Android.
See VoluntaryNews for sources of news by or for the non-profit sector, and our own news stream too. The main VolResource site gives information on issues such as sector support bodies, why taxonomy matters.
This page was originally compiled quite a while ago, and is only updated from time to time. A line through the link text indicates that an automated sweep found some problem at the other end. We do usually follow up suggestions for changes and additions – please use the Contact form.
A tentative start at apps for smartphone and tablet, for and by charities. Note: your editor has acquired a very cheap Android phone, so this limits what can be checked out.
- Birmingham’s voluntary sector support org BVSC contains latest jobs, events, sector news. See BVSC news item for Apple and Android links.
- Cardiomyopathy Apple app – to get “latest information from Cardiomyopathy.org and organise your treatment information”.
- Fill That Hole for reporting potholes, from CTC the national cycling charity. On Google Play.
- FoodCloud is an app (Ireland only) that allows businesses with surplus food to donate to charities within their communities. On Google Play.
- SnapDonate connects with JustGiving to make giving easy. On Google Play.
- Snowflake – an interactive adventure game app from Home-Start. On Google Play.
- UN ‘Calendar of Observances on Google Play.
- Be My Eyes is an Apple app that connects blind people with volunteer helpers from around the world via live video chat.
- Bubb’s Blog Thoughts from Stephen Bubb, Chief Exec of Acevo.
- Poverty News Blog An individual’s international round-up.
- Ramblings of A PR has quite a few pieces around public relations issues with a charity focus.
- ThinkNPC ‘opinion, news and debate around key issues affecting charities and funders’.
- Whitebarn Consulting voluntary sector views from Ireland.
- White Fuse All things digital, tailored for charities and non-profits.
- Charities and Campaigning for a Better World from Andrew Purkis, former charity CEO and Board Member of the Charity Commission.
On Charity Work
This CharityBlog also rounds up relevant social media for those involved in voluntary organisations.
- ACEVO blogs – the organisation for charity chief execs.
- Association of Volunteer Managers.
- Idealware Blog of US non-profit which reviews relevant software.
- NCVO blog pages – National Council for Voluntary Organisations, support/umbrella body for England.
- Third Force News blog, from the “voice of the third sector” in Scotland.
- UK Fundraising blogs.
- Gin and Fundraising.
- Big Story Project – a collective blog for writing about church-based and faith-based community initiatives.
- Carers Blog from Carers Trust policy director.
- HVA Director’s Blog Hastings Voluntary Action.
- Minority Rights – minorities in focus.
- Oxfam GB blog pages.
- Refugee Council.
- Solvent and Volatile Substance Abuse from charity Re-Solv.
- World Land Trust international conservation charity.
- YouthNet A charity tackling youth issues online.
- Zoomers Monday morning group at Henshaws Society for Blind People, Trafford.
- Boycott Nestlé – protect infants by Campaigns and Networking Coordinator at Baby Milk Action.
- Carno Station Action Group A WordPress based campaign site.
- Free Our Data Campaign instigated by The Guardian on ‘public’ data.
- Jamie’s Big Voice A voice battling for homeless people.
- Kings Cross Local Environment Street level action in central London.
- OPEN Dalston Saving Dalston Theatre and more.
- Stand Up For Seaton Community action on Blogspot.
- cch chief executive (to 2011) The boss of Community Central Hall Glasgow.
- Ed Mayo’s blog on co-operatives in the UK.
- Mark Lyonette on credit unions (new Oct’14).
- Neighbourhoods .. and neighbourliness, social capital, citizenship, space and place…
- Volunteer experience in the digital age from a group of researchers (new autumn 2014).
- Impact Investor.
Selected interational (mainly American) sector blogs
- Association for Progressive Communications social justice, sustainable development through ICT and internet.
- Engaging Volunteers.
- Kivi’s Nonprofit Marketing/Communications Blog.
- NewPR NonProfitBlogs section US Wiki – Non-Profit Blogging, Podcasting and Social Media.
- Nonprofit Blog Exchange Largely American site gathering up charity blogs.
- The Nonprofit Consultant.
- Radio 2.0 for development (to 2011) Local & community broadcasting and new tech.
- Social Velocity. Social innovation, social impact, sustainability.
- Top 150 Nonprofit Blogs.
Many community groups, national charities etc. have Facebook pages, groups or profiles. This section is for innovations or charity specific social networks.
- Connect, Autism West Midlands award winning online social network for people with autism and their families.
Podcast, audio, video
– #volsec stories, news, comment.
- Cancer Research UK Podcast archive.
- Community Radio resources – broadcasting and on the net.
- Grassroots Channel from Podnosh Stories from active citizens in Birmingham.
- Have Fun Do Good (in the US) has a Big Vision podcast.
- Médecins Sans Frontières Monthly humanitarian news and emergency updates.
- Sex and Podcasting Reflections on community podcasting (to 2005).
- Video help with fundraising on YouTube: Howard Lake (UK Fundraising), syfab.
- Other video channels: Volunteer Development Scotland.
- media cause a nonprofit digital agency with useful tips.
- NetSquared blogs Remixing the web for social change – some interesting stuff.
- internet.artizans Tracking the Internet, Human Rights & Social Change.
- Technology and Social Action (to 2009) Practical Design for Social Action.
- green.tv environmental news and feature videos in various formats.
- The Hub Now an archive of human rights related media to 2010.
CMS – content management system. Many more using this sort of website software now.
- 3tc Voluntary sector ICT support, Liverpool. Produced in Joomla.
- ABCtales.com Community for writers and readers, Drupal.
- Aid Workers Network Enables sharing of practical advice and resources – Drupal/CiviCRM.
- Amnesty International Running under Drupal with CiviCRM.
- Association of Volunteer Managers Now on WordPress.com.
- Campaign against Climate Change Taking action with Drupal.
- forum4e Drupal based online community for people with epilepsy.
- Great Ormond Street Hospital – Drupal.
- Open Source CMS Info and opportunity to try demos.
- Oxfam International Drupal system.
- Oxford Health Alliance WordPress, fighting pandemic of chronic disease.
- South Hams CVS (Devon) An AAA accessible site in Modx (modxcms.com)
- Spitalfields City Farm Animal delight with Drupal (was Joomla).
- UK Psoriasis Help Forum Open Forum For Psoriasis Sufferers, running SMF (simple machines forum).
- Warwickshire Community and Voluntary Action in Drupal, with an example of using the VoluntaryNews feed.
Also see: Tailoring WordPress – round-up of plug-ins of particular interest to charities.