Below are links to blogs, podcasts and similar social media sources, covering issues of interest to people in the voluntary sector. And a selection of charity or campaign blogs working to raise awareness or cash, communicate with the public, volunteers or members.
See VoluntaryNews for sources of news by or for the non-profit sector, and our own news stream too. Plus the main VolResource site for more on issues such as sector support bodies, why taxonomy matters.
The bulk of this page was compiled quite a while ago, with some gradual updating from Jan. 2014. A line through the text indicates that an automated sweep found some problem with the link.
Do give us a nudge and we’ll follow up suggestions for changes and additions – please use the Contact form.
On Charity Work
This CharityBlog also rounds up relevant social media for those involved in voluntary organisations.
- ACEVO blogs – the organisation for charity chief execs.
- Ask Charity (to June 2012) putting journalists in touch with charities.
- Association of Volunteer Managers.
- Good Comms News ‘communications for good causes’.
- Idealware Blog of US non-profit which reviews relevant software.
- NCVO blog pages – National Council for Voluntary Organisations, support/umbrella body for England.
- Third Force News blog, from the “voice of the third sector” in Scotland.
- UK Fundraising blogs.
- Bubb’s Blog Thoughts from Stephen Bubb, Chief Exec of Acevo.
- Poverty News Blog An individual’s international round-up.
- ThinkNPC ‘opinion, news and debate around key issues affecting charities and funders’.
- Whitebarn Consulting voluntary sector views from Ireland.
- cch chief executive (to 2011) The boss of Community Central Hall Glasgow.
- Ed Mayo’s blog on co-operatives in the UK.
- Neighbourhoods .. and neighbourliness, social capital, citizenship, space and place…
- YouthNet A charity tackling youth issues online.
- Carers Blog from Carers Trust policy director.
- HVA Director’s Blog Hastings Voluntary Action.
- Oxfam GB blog pages.
- Solvent and Volatile Substance Abuse from charity Re-Solv.
- World Land Trust international conservation charity.
- Zoomers Monday morning group at Henshaws Society for Blind People, Trafford.
- Boycott Nestlé – protect infants by Campaigns and Networking Coordinator at Baby Milk Action.
- Carno Station Action Group A WordPress based campaign site.
- Free Our Data Campaign instigated by The Guardian on ‘public’ data.
- Jamie’s Big Voice A voice battling for homeless people.
- Kings Cross Local Environment Street level action in central London.
- OPEN Dalston Saving Dalston Theatre and more.
- Stand Up For Seaton Community action on Blogspot.
- Association for Progressive Communications social justice, sustainable development through ICT and internet.
- NewPR NonProfitBlogs section US Wiki – Non-Profit Blogging, Podcasting and Social Media.
- Nonprofit Blog Exchange Largely American site gathering up charity blogs.
- Radio 2.0 for development (to 2011) Local & community broadcasting and new tech.
- Vancouver Social Enterprise Forum Canadian take on social enterprise.
and possibly video – #volsec stories, news, comment.
- Cancer Research UK Podcast archive.
- Community Radio resources – broadcasting and on the net.
- Grassroots Channel from Podnosh Stories from active citizens in Birmingham.
- Have Fun Do Good (in the US) has a Big Vision podcast.
- Médecins Sans Frontières Monthly humanitarian news and emergency updates.
- Sex and Podcasting Reflections on community podcasting (to 2005).
- media cause a nonprofit digital agency with useful tips.
- NetSquared blogs Remixing the web for social change – some interesting stuff.
- internet.artizans Tracking the Internet, Human Rights & Social Change.
- Technology and Social Action (to 2009) Practical Design for Social Action.
- green.tv environmental news and feature videos in various formats.
- The Hub Now an archive of human rights related media to 2010.
CMS – content management system. Many more using this sort of website software now.
- 3tc Voluntary sector ICT support, Liverpool. Produced in Joomla.
- ABCtales.com Community for writers and readers, Drupal.
- Aid Workers Network Enables sharing of practical advice and resources – Drupal/CiviCRM.
- Amnesty International Running under Drupal with CiviCRM.
- Association of Volunteer Managers Now on WordPress.com.
- Campaign against Climate Change Taking action with Drupal.
- forum4e Drupal based online community for people with epilepsy.
- Great Ormond Street Hospital created with Easysite.
- Open Source CMS Info and opportunity to try demos.
- Oxfam International Drupal system.
- Oxford Health Alliance WordPress, fighting pandemic of chronic disease.
- South Hams CVS (Devon) An AAA accessible site in Modx (modxcms.com)
- Spitalfields City Farm Animal delight with Drupal (was Joomla).
- UK Psoriasis Help Forum Open Forum For Psoriasis Sufferers, running SMF (simple machines forum).
- Warwickshire Community and Voluntary Action in Drupal, with an example of using the VoluntaryNews feed.
- VCS JargonBuster Deciphering sector TLAs.